Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2440/110843
Type: Text
Title: Piltawodli (Pirltawardli)
Other Titles: Place Name Summary (PNS) 2/04
Author: Schultz, Chester
Publisher: Chester Schultz
Issue Date: 28-Feb-2018
Abstract: Pilta-wodli (or Piltawodlingga; in KWP New Spelling 2010, Pirltawardli and Pirltawardlingga) was the Kaurna name of the area of the earliest ‘Native Location’ & School established in 1837, where the German linguist missionaries Teichelmann, Schürmann & Klose did most of their work recording the Kaurna language & using it to teach Kaurna children, 1838-45. The place (probably a campsite) was chosen by the Kaurna themselves: on the Torrens River, in the present North Adelaide Golf Links just north of the Torrens Lake weir. It is now marked by a memorial plaque at the carpark by the weir.
Keywords: Native Location school
Kaurna language
Adelaide
Torrens River
Brush-tailed possum
Aboriginal place-names
South Australia geography
Kaurna Warra Pintyandi
Appears in Collections:Southern Kaurna Place Names Essays

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Piltawodli.pdf213.01 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.