Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2440/113967
Type: Text
Title: Nurlungka
Other Titles: Place Name Summary (PNS) 4.02/06
Author: Schultz, Chester
Publisher: Chester Schultz
Issue Date: 4-Jun-2018
Abstract: The name first recorded as ‘Noolunga’ (later re-spelled in other ways, such as ‘Noarlunga’ which became standard) was derived from the Kaurna word nurlungga (KWP New Spelling nurlungka). We infer that the first surveyors of the district in 1839 heard it from their Aboriginal guides applying it to the ‘horseshoe’ loop of the Onkaparinga River on Sections 70 and 71 at what is now Old Noarlunga. The word means ‘at the corner or bend [of a river]'. However, it was not a place-name, probably not even a generic one, but merely a description of the place. This alleged place-name does not occur at all in the Aboriginal vocabularies of the Protectors. The site was known to Kaurna-speaking Aboriginal people, and to the German missionary linguists (apart from one early misconception in 1840), only as Ngangkiparingga, ‘woman’s river place’ (see PNS 4.02/04). Its essential public features were not the ‘bend’ but the ford, which controlled movement northward and southward on the plains; and its true name referred not to a ‘bend’ but to stories or business about women.]’.
Keywords: Noarlunga
Kaurna language
nurlungga
nurlungka
Onkaparinga River
Old Noarlunga
Ngangkiparingga
woman’s river place
Aboriginal place-names
Kaurna Warra Pintyandi
South Australia geography
Appears in Collections:Southern Kaurna Place Names Essays

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Nurlungka.pdf474.61 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.